At Hamilton Insurance Partners, we understand that homeownership is a significant milestone in many people’s lives. It provides stability, security, and a sense of belonging. However, owning a home comes with responsibilities, including protecting your investment from unexpected events like wildfires, theft, or injury. Homeowners insurance is a critical tool in ensuring that your home and its contents are covered,  but what about homeowners insurance for condos or townhomes? Do you need it, and if so, what coverage should you get?

townhome insurance

Townhome Insurance vs. Condo Insurance – What’s The Difference?

One of the main differences between townhome insurance and condo insurance is what is covered under the policy. While townhome insurance can sometimes cover the entire structure, condo insurance generally only covers the interior space of the unit or the “walls in.” 

Another key difference is how the policies are priced. Townhome insurance policies tend to be priced based on the value of the entire structure, while condo insurance is based on the value of the interior space only. Additionally, townhome insurance can be more expensive than condo insurance if additional coverage is required for the exterior of the property.

Townhome Insurance

A townhome is a type of residential property that shares a wall with one or more neighboring units. Typically, townhome owners own the entire structure and land beneath it, including the front and back yards. As such, townhome insurance policies tend to cover the entire structure, including the exterior walls, roof, and any attached structures like garages. Townhome insurance also typically includes liability coverage, which protects you if someone is injured on your property or if you accidentally cause damage to someone else’s property. Most townhomes will still have HOAs that handle shared grounds and facilities maintenance. 

Condo Insurance

Condos, on the other hand, are a type of residential property where you own only the interior space of your unit. The common areas, including the exterior walls, roof, and land, are owned and maintained by the condo association and stated in what’s called a Master Policy. Condo insurance policies typically only cover the unit’s interior, including personal property and any upgrades or improvements, often called a Unit Owner Policy. 

Master Policy

The Master Policy is the insurance policy taken out by the condo association or building owner. It provides coverage for common areas, such as hallways, elevators, lobbies, and other shared spaces. The Master Policy typically covers the building structure and the liability associated with it. It may also include coverage for fixtures, such as plumbing, electrical systems, and HVAC equipment.

The coverage provided by the Master Policy varies depending on the type of policy purchased by the condo association. There are two primary types of Master Policies – Bare Walls-In and All-In. A Bare Walls-In policy covers only the building’s exterior structure, while an All-In policy includes coverage for the fixtures within each unit, such as cabinets, countertops, and appliances.

Generally speaking, you will get a full disclosure of this policy as closing. However, you are allowed to request coverage information as part of the research process.  

Unit Owner Policy

The Unit Owner Policy is the insurance policy purchased by the condo owner. It provides coverage for the unit owner’s personal belongings and any upgrades or improvements made to the unit. The Unit Owner Policy also includes liability coverage for the unit owner in case of injury or property damage caused by the owner or their guests.

The coverage provided by the Unit Owner Policy is essential because it covers the items not covered by the Master Policy. For example, if a pipe bursts in the wall of your unit, the Master Policy may cover the repairs to the wall but not the damage to your personal property, such as furniture or electronics. The Unit Owner’s Policy would cover this damage.

If you are looking at purchasing a condo, or already have one and want better coverage, reach out to us today so we can look at your coverage options!

condo insurance

Townhome Insurance Coverage

Townhome insurance coverage can vary depending on your specific policy, but here are some key things to keep in mind.

First and foremost, you’ll want to ensure your policy covers your physical dwelling, including any attached structures like garages. This coverage will typically protect you in case of damage from things like fire, lightning, wind, or other natural disasters. Be sure to check the specifics of your policy to understand exactly what’s covered and what isn’t.

In addition to coverage for the physical structure of your townhome, you’ll also want to make sure you have liability coverage. This will protect you if someone is injured on your property and you’re found to be responsible. Liability coverage can also extend to cover damage you may accidentally cause to someone else’s property.

Personal property coverage is another important consideration. This will cover the cost of replacing your belongings in case they’re damaged or stolen. It’s important to note that personal property coverage may have limits, so be sure to review your policy to understand what’s covered and how much coverage you have.

If you live in an area prone to flooding or earthquakes, you may want to consider additional coverage specifically for those events. Many standard policies don’t include coverage for these types of events, so it’s important to check and see if you need to purchase additional coverage.

What Coverage Do You Need?

The coverage required for homeowners insurance for condos and townhomes varies depending on your specific circumstances. However, some general guidelines can help you determine what coverage you need.

Liability Coverage

Liability coverage is essential for all homeowners, including condo owners. It provides protection in case someone is injured on your property or if you cause damage to someone else’s property. The Master Policy may include liability coverage for the building, but the Unit Owner Policy provides liability coverage for your unit and personal actions.

Personal Property Coverage

Personal property coverage is the most important coverage for condo owners because it protects your personal belongings. The Master Policy may cover the building structure and fixtures, but it does not cover your personal property. The amount of personal property coverage you need depends on the value of your belongings. A general rule of thumb is to take an inventory of your belongings and estimate their value to determine how much coverage you need.

Loss Assessment Coverage

Loss assessment coverage provides protection for condo owners who could be assessed by the HOA to pay a portion of a loss that occurs in a shared or common area. Typically a HOA master policy would pick up the loss, however the HOA could assess condo owners to cover the deductible and/or any damages outside of the limits on the master policy.

Additional Living Expenses Coverage

Additional living expenses coverage provides coverage for living expenses if you are unable to live in your unit due to a covered loss. For example, if a fire damages your unit, and you need to live in a hotel until it is repaired, additional living expenses coverage would provide coverage for your hotel.

It’s also worth considering additional endorsements to your policy. These can cover things like jewelry, antiques, or other high-value items that may not be fully covered under your standard policy. Again, it’s essential to review your policy and discuss any concerns with your insurance broker to ensure you have adequate coverage.

condo insurance denver

Shop Around and Compare Quotes

Once you know you’re ready to buy or re-evaluate your coverage, it’s time to start shopping for insurance. Be sure to compare quotes from different insurance companies to guarantee you are getting the best coverage at the best price. Consider the following when comparing quotes:

  1. Coverage Limits: Ensure the coverage limits meet your needs.
  2. Deductible: Consider the deductible amount you are comfortable paying.
  3. Discounts: Look for discounts offered by the insurance company, such as bundling policies or having safety features in your townhome or condo.
  4. Reputation: Check the insurance company’s reputation by reading reviews and ratings from other customers.

Work with an Insurance Broker

Working with an insurance broker can be beneficial when finding the right insurance for your townhome or condo. A broker can help you understand the coverage options available and help you find a policy that meets your needs and budget across a number of insurance providers. They can also help you navigate the claims process if you need to file a claim.

Finding the right insurance for your townhome or condo requires research and consideration of your unique situation. Understanding your association’s insurance policy, determining your insurance needs, shopping around and comparing quotes, and working with an insurance broker can all help you find the right insurance coverage for your townhome or condo. With the right insurance policy, you can have peace of mind knowing you are protected from whatever may happen.

Looking for an Insurance Broker in Colorado? Reach out to us today!


Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!